The city of Messolonghi is accessible by car from all over the mainland via the Ionian and Olympia Roads.
- from Thessaloniki: 419 km – approx. 4 hours
- from Ioannina: 174 km – approx. 1 hour and 30 minutes
- from Athens: 241 km – approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes
- from Patras: 47 km – approx. 30 minutes
- from Olympia: 163 km – approx. 2 hours
- from Delphi: 143 km – approx. 2 hours
The Salt Museum is located in the area of Tourlida. It is 4 km from the port of Messolonghi.
Tourlida is a traditional settlement consisted of "pelades", i.e. fisherman's houses built on poles inside the sea.
In order to access the Museum by car, you should follow the road crossing the lagoon, where you will have the ability to see "ivari", which is a traditional form of fishing farming.
Just before the end of this road, which further leads to the Ionion Sea, you could observe flamingos and pelicans, swimming into the safe waters that surround the salt pan. When you face the small white hills made of salt, you have just reached your destination.
By KTEL transportation
You can also access Messolonghi through the KTEL Aitoloakarnania's buses.
- phone: +30 26410 54444 & +30 26310 22371.
By public transportation
During summer months, public transportation is available, too. The start line is located in Stavropoulou 7, which is very close to Markos Botsaris' Square, the city's central square. For further information call at the bus station +30 26310 22217.
Taxis' parking spaces can be found at KTEL station and at Markos Botsaris' Square. The distance from these places to the Museum is about 5 km (10 minutes). Call Info:
Hire your own bike and enjoy the riding on the bicycle path along the lagoon.
For information call:
- Escape Bikes: 2631024770 – 6948005537
- Houtas Bikes: 2631025553
- Tsarkrkatoglou bikes +30 2631028207